Actually, demo days, plural. This didn’t happen all on one day. But if you’ve ever watched “Fixer Upper”, you know how exciting demo day is!  It’s pretty fun to remove all the things you don’t like and get a clean slate to work with. There were a lot of things I didn’t really like in my camper. Like the bunk beds.

Useless bunk bed #1

At first, I thought I would use the upper bunk as a closet, and I even put in a closet rod (it was really just a piece of PVC). It looked like this.

The back wall of the trailer curves where it meets the ceiling. My skills and available tools couldn’t handle curves. I made that framey thing so that I could simply have 90-degree angles to work with. That was only about a $4 and 1-hour project, which is fortunate, because after sleeping in the trailer for about a week, I decided I really hated that bunk in general. I wanted more head room. So, I took it all out.

So much headroom! The only hitch is that there were reading lamps wired through the cupboard. As you can see in the picture, I have some wires coming out of the wall and the light fixtures are in that green bin. There were two, but I only wanted to keep one. Disconnecting one light was quite straightforward. I didn’t have to cut, strip, or splice any wires. All I did was twist 4 red caps off and twist 2 back on. There was plenty of room in the wall for me to hide excess length of cord. Mounting the light on the wall to cover this hole went just fine too.

Unplug your trailer from shore power AND disconnect the battery before messing with wires

Useless bunk bed #2

This cupboard thing at the front of the trailer folds down into a narrow bunk. But I didn’t like how the cupboard doors were hazards for my forehead when trying to put anything in there. And it was heavy. As a bunk, it makes sense that it needs to be sturdy. But as a cupboard, it just wasn’t ideal.

I had to really manhandle it to get it off, but that’s the whole fun of demo days! The base of the cupboard stayed and I planned to use it as a shelf.

Useless bathroom stuff

In the bathroom, I wasn’t sure what kind of fixtures I would ultimately want, but I new it wasn’t these. So I tossed all those out.

I also ended up taking off the bathroom door because, well, I better explain more about the dinette first…

A new use for the bathroom door

In the dinette, I knew I wanted to somehow have more counter space and less seating. The heavy, collapsible table didn’t seem useful to me.  Repurposing it into a counter top didn’t wasn’t feasible because of it’s dimensions. So I threw it out. I noticed that the bathroom door could make a temporary counter top (remember, I’m cheap and in the middle of nowhere at this point, I had no plans to find a hardware store or lumber yard anytime soon). It fit a lot better after sawed the end off, haha. Ultimately, I threw out all but one of those ugly cushions.

The bathroom-door-turned-counter-top wasn’t perfect, but I did really like the hole where the door handle had been. Since there aren’t any outlets in this end of the trailer, I ran a household extension cord over from the kitchen and then I had a nice spot to plug in my laptop. The bathroom-door-turned-counter-top would eventually get replaced with a more permanent (and better looking) solution, but this feature was something I incorporated into the new design.

Oh, and if you’re wondering: I simply hung my towel across the bathroom doorway with a clothes line and clothespins. It works, and I have to hang my towel somewhere anyway so why not make it do double duty? You’ll see how I fixed up the shelving and countertop in coming posts, but months later I still have my towel in the bathroom doorway because it really does the job just fine.

Useless seating area

Like I’ve said, I wanted to get rid of some of this seating space in the dinette. Beneath the dinette cushions, the benches can lift up to access the furnace and a U-shaped storage compartment that wraps around the front end of the trailer. These spaces are also accessible from outside the trailer via lockable access doors. In taking out the middle bench, I had to block off where the storage space had connected with that of either side bench. Fortunately, I could recycle the same materials I had just ripped out. By getting rid of one bench of the dinette, I sacrificed some storage space in favor of floor space. You can see the sun-fade marks on the linoleum, but oh well. Who knows, I might replace the flooring someday.

Here is the original floorplan compared to my floorplan after all this demo-ing.

 

Share: